Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates
Birth, Death and non confidential Marriage certificates are now available to be purchased online. We can only provide birth and death certificates if it occurred in Alpine County. If the marriage ceremony was performed in Alpine County but the license was issued in another County, you must contact the County where the license was issued in order to obtain a certified copy. Prior to placing an order and to minimize rejection or delays, please call (530) 694-2283 or email us to verify that we have the record on file. Please contact the County Clerk for confidential marriage certificates. Only authorized individuals can receive a copy of a certificate and their identification will be verified prior to fulfilment of a certificate order. Click here to order Birth, non confidential Marriage and Death Certificates.
Birth & Death Certificates: In an attempt to stop the illegal use of vital records, and as part of statewide efforts to reduce identity theft, a new law (effective July 1, 2003) changed the way certified copies of birth & death certificates are issued. Certified Copies to establish the identity of a registrant can be issued only to authorized individuals, as indicated below. All others will be issued Certified Informational Copies that are not valid to establish identity.
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate.
- Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and scope of his or her employment and who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of an individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.
Copies are available by either a mail in request, in person request or online request. In order to obtain a certified copy requested by mail or in person, you MUST complete the sworn statement included on the birth certificate request form or the death certificate request form and sign the statement under penalty of perjury. If you mail your request, your sworn statement must be NOTARIZED. If your mailed request indicates that you want a certified copy but does not include a notarized statement sworn under penalty of perjury, an "Informational" copy will be returned to you. You will be required to verify your identity online during the online request.
**Effective January 1, 2010** Assembly Bill 130, amended Section 103525 of the Health & Safety Code to include Public Marriage Licenses. See the information above under "New Law Effective July 1, 2003" for authorized parties.
Certified copies of Confidential Marriage records are available from the County Clerk and only available to people who were a party to the marriage or by court order (Family Code 509 & 511). Informational Copies cannot be issued.
Non confidential Marriage Certificate requests are available online or by mail or in person at our office. For requests by mail, please return the marriage certificate request form, your payment in the form of a check or money order (made payable to the Alpine County Recorder) and include a self-addressed stamped envelope and mail to:
Alpine County Assessor / Recorder
PO Box 155
Markleeville, CA 96120
Your certificate(s) are usually mailed within 2 business days from receipt.
Please be advised that other than online orders, the Alpine County Assessor / Recorders office can only accept payment in the following forms: check, money order or cash. No debit or credit cards.
For questions regarding certificates, email Jeanette Millar or call (530) 694-2283.
Recording hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. - excluding holidays
General office hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. - excluding holidays
Our Office is located at 99 Water Street Markleeville, CA 96120 (behind the court house)