The CalFresh Program is a federal nutrition program that helps eligible, low income people purchase the food they need for good health.
CalFresh benefits are not cash. Households that are eligible will receive a plastic electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card that is used at the store, like a debit card, when purchasing food items.
To be eligible for CalFresh:
- You must be a resident of Alpine County.
- Everyone who receives CalFresh (Food Stamps) must have a Social Security Number (SSN).
- If someone in your household does not have a Social Security Number, we can assist you in obtaining one.
- There are income limits that vary depending on the number of persons in your household and their ages.
- Vehicles, Bank Accounts, Property are not counted.
- Due to a recent change in California law, beginning June 1, 2019, individuals receiving or authorized to receive SSI/SSP are eligible for CalFresh, provided all other eligibility criteria are met.
You may screen for CalFresh eligibility by going to the CalFresh website or you may contact Alpine County Social Services, at (530)-694-2235.
PLEASE NOTE: It can take up to 30 days to process a CalFresh application unless you are otherwise eligible AND meet specific eligibility criteria that entitles you to expedited services. Your application will be screened to determine if you are eligible for Expedited Services. If you are determined eligible for Expedited Services, you may receive your benefits within 3 days.
There are many ways to apply for CalFresh benefits. Coming into the office is one of the options but is not necessary:
- Applications can be made electronically, online at BenefitsCal.com
- Applications can be taken by phone by calling Alpine County Social Services at (530) 694-2235
- Paper applications are available to be either picked up at our office - 75 A Diamond Valley Rd, Markleeville 96120)
- Paper applications can be mailed to you – please call (530) 694-2235
- You may drop off your completed application at either office during business hours, or at our drop box outside of the office
- You may also fax your completed application to 530 694-2252, or mail it via USPS
Local Emergency food providers can be found at the following locations:
Alpine County Health and Human Services (Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm, CLOSED 12:00pm - 1:00pm)
75A Diamond Valley Road
Markleeville, CA 96120
Live Violence Free
100 Foothill Road, D-4
Markleeville, CA 96120
Office Line: (530) 694-1853
Food Bank of El Dorado County